brigid's books

  • Forever
  • A Long Walk To Water

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Hurricane Sandy Articles: Reader Response #7

     Both articles about Hurricane Sandy were very devastating and upsetting. But this article, I think I paid to the picture more. Yes I should have probaly should have picked the article by the context, but i think photos really show expressions, and can really show whats going on. It gives the reader a better idea whats going on, a visual view. So this picture is shot at the Jersey Shore, it shows a roller coaster in the ocean, almost totally under. Keep in mind this is a big roller coaster is a giant pieces of metal, which are very hard to move. This roller coaster isn't some wooden roller coaster, it is  big and made out of steel. I thought that not even a storm could move something this big. I guess this was an eye opener to me. I guess I was focusing on what was happening in my community, not everywhere else.
       In this article "Costs of Shoring Up Coastal Communities" it talks about the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. It captures the real issues people are going through in all coastal communities. In text it says "most of the coastal communities have lost a lot of sand, most of it has been blown to the streets. The clean up will be very expensive and many people are wondering is it worth it? This is a common problem, deciding what you really need, because Sandy destroyed many things and its gonna be expensive to replace everything. Also in the article many people argue "the beaches attract a lot of storm energy." I think that people should focus more on personal problems first because peoples homes were destroyed and they need these, a beach isn't they need. They can repair it later but if you really wanna help out you should focus on the people, not inatimate objects, like the beach, they were affected by it the most.
       Another aftermath of Sandy was the death toll and many people loosing power. In the article it says "and the death toll is a little bit over 60." Imagine that was a close friend or family member of yours. I would, personally, be really upset. Some parents had to watch their children drown. That's a really big death toll. Its 60 deaths too many. The other big issue was many people lost power. The text says "more then 60 million homes lost power." Wow that's a lot people! Also it says shelters were packed. Also many people had to come back to the rumble that used to be their houses. They had no internet, TV, heat anything. The temperatures dropped that night, many people didn't have heat or warm food, or even a home.
      From this article I have recapped the three main problems that Hurricane Sandy has caused, money spending, deaths and lost power.  This article how lucky I really am. I mean like I said before i was only really paying attention to my community, I wasn't really looking at what has happened to everyone else. I think to get over this sitation we are gonna have to band together and help each other , not one community can fix it self. I think for the next storm we will know what to do. We will be better prepared. We are still dealing with this, and were gonna have this is the furture too. This should help us band more as a one giant community and help each other.




No comments:

Post a Comment